24 September 2013

Why I use FindMyPast (Tuesday's Tip)

I am a big fan of FindMyPast for genealogy research. For records that are on both FindMyPast and other sites, FindMyPast's indexes and transcriptions are (in my experience) much more accurate. This is particularly obvious with British census records.

A 'world subscription' to FindMyPast allows you to search records for Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, USA and Canada (including Irish newspapers and the British Newspaper Archive). In mid-2013 there were more than 1.8 billion records available, and that number is growing rapidly. In Aug 2013, for example, FindMyPast added ten new data sets (2 million records) for Australasia alone, plus many records for other areas.

Follow the links below to see (for each region) a full list of categories and all the record sets currently available within them, with descriptions of what each record set contains and what detailed information you can expect to find.


Searches are free. (HINT: Try entering a surname in the Keywords field. This finds entries in records that are searchable PDF files, such as digitised books and newspapers.) To see transcriptions or images of original records, you need to buy either pay-as-you-go credits or a subscription. There is a 10% loyalty discount for renewing a 12-month subscription.

I have been using FindMyPast's census records and parish registers for many years. Recently other data sets (including passenger lists and Royal Household records) have provided some exciting discoveries. I was surprised to find that two of my British families went overseas (one to South Africa, the other to Canada) for a short time - but were back in the UK for the next census!

Postscript, March 2014: In my 'Genealogy Leftovers' blog I have highlighted some recent improvements at FindMyPast.

('Tuesday's Tip' is a theme used by Geneabloggers.)
~ ~
(Revenue from ads goes to Kiva)
Find My Past - UK, IE, AU

2 comments:

  1. I've also been most pleased to discover info on "Find My Past" Judy, that I've unable to find anywhere else. The most recent was the "re-marriage" of my Great Grandfather's first wife whom I'd despaired of ever tracking down. *Note to self... write a blog post on it Catherine :-) *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I await your blog post with great interest, Catherine. I love hearing how family historians tracked down people who 'vanished'.

      Delete

If you think we are related, or if you want to comment but cannot do so because of restrictions designed to block spam, please email me at the address shown in the sidebar here (or an alternative address shown on www.judywebster.com.au).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...